A 55-year-old woman died in October because she had ingested a flesh-eating bacteria. She had contracted this deadly bacteria on a trip to friends and family in Louisiana. Jeanette LeBlanc got sick after she ate raw oysters which a lot of experts don’t suggest. A poorly cooked meat can actually be your last so-called healthy snack.
Warning: Some images might be graphic in nature.
Karen Bowers told KLFY that her friend became sick after they feasted on the raw oysters. LeBlanc was not aware of her illness, in fact, she thought that she had contracted some sort of infection.
In the beginning, it felt like her friend was having some kind of allergic reaction in her body but her condition worsened within the next 48 hours. She was taken to the hospital where the doctors diagnosed her with vibriosis.
It’s a flesh-eating bacteria. She had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria.
People can contract this bacteria after walking in the water with an open wound. They can also suffer from it after eating raw oysters. As LeBlanc was exposed to both things that day, so she got sick. The symptoms of this deadly disease include excessive diarrhoea, nausea, fever and chills. Severe cases can cause instant death within 48 hours.
The spread of these bacteria happens in the warmer months, this woman fought the bacteria for around 21 days before she succumbed to the disease.
Bergquist and Bowers are not working together to raise awareness in people regarding the bacteria so no other innocent life may be lost because of neglect.
If we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would’ve stopped eating oysters – said Bergquist
This deadly disease causes around 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year. It’s a strain bacteria which is found in oysters and other seafood. The consumer can be exposed to this bacteria if the food isn’t cooked properly. People are left at risk of this disease after consuming raw meat.
A high pattern of expansion of this disease can be seen between May and October, since the water temperature is warm in these months.