We all in a way or other rely upon our computers when it comes to entertainment, relaxation, time-passing and creative work. Thus, Computers always play a vital role in out daily routine specially when it comes to me I can’t even imagine a day without computer being out of my daily schedule. Now, if your start your system and it hangs at the first stage of start-up, it gets really frustrating. Specially I can’t bear this happening with my computer. It results into loss of time, loss of mental focus and loss of all the creativeness which you were going to transfer to your machine. I decided to share my experience on how you can boost up your computer speed and how you can get maximum juice out of computer to do some multitasking using the Speed Up My PC guide.
Smaller it is the Faster it is:
Small things surely move at a face pace. Same is the case with your computer. I mean that the data portion of your computer should be as small as it is intended to be used. Normally large junks of data happen due to following reasons:
- You don’t have a monitor at installed software.
- You keep on downloading things in C drive and then forget about them.
- You keep files in your recycle bin.
- You don’t delete any temporary internet files through disk cleaning.
- You don’t keep your data in an ordered form.
- You are lazy enough to love your machine.
All the above reasons result into piling up your hard disk with rubbish data which you don’t need to use at regular basis. At the time I am writing this guide main OS used is Windows 7 or Windows 8. This guide can easily be implemented on Windows Vista also. (It can be implemented anywhere as long as you get the real meaning hidden behind the post)
To solve this junk data problem you should try to clean your hard disk at regular weekly basis. Procedure:
- Go to Drive which you want to clean using windows disk cleanup utility.
- Right Click that and open properties written at the end of right click menu.
- Click Disk cleanup written below the pie graph of free space and used space. That’s it.
Further you should delete any unimportant file from your C drive as soon as possible. You should always care for your C drive since it’s the main drive on which you computer relies for it’s functional actions. Cleaner the C drive is Smoother will be the PC experience.
Using A Flash Drive to Speed Up Your Computer Speed:
Every one has pen-drives now a days and depending upon commonness of issue many of us have a small spare flash drive which has been left intact because no one uses it. We can use this flash drive to give a new life to our slow computer. This flash will be used as an additional space to write up cache of Windows. Steps to do assign a flash drive for Ready Boost are written below:
- Plugin the flash drive in your computer USB port. Flash drive must be of minimum 2.0 port to be used at a Pentium 4 computer with 2.0 port.
- Right click on the Flash drive from the My Computer and go to Properties.
- Open the properties and find the Ready Boost Tab.
- Open the tab and their dedicate the whole space of Flash drive as ready boost. That’s it.
It will surely save the time for the write delay of hard disk as compared to Flash drive. Since, Flash drives write-up data at more speed. It will result into an enhanced experience of your computer.
Disabling Some Windows Features and Services to Increase Your Computer’s Speed:
There are a lot of Windows features which are not commonly used by daily user, specially on a slow computer we can’t bear such features to eat up the whole RAM with no juice left to be used by a common user. You can disbable a lot of services at your own which you think that you don’t require them but following services can be safely set to manual or else you can disable them completely. For listing services go to:
- Right click computer and Click Manage.
- Go to Services and Applications from left pane. Open Services by double clicking that.
Find the following service one by one and you can set them to manual or can disable them. (When disabled Windows can never start them at it’s own but in manual it can start that service itself.)
- Application Experience
- Computer Browser (If your PC does not connect to any network and you don’t need file sharing)
- Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (If you don’t want the aero effects Or In case your Graphic Card doesn’t support aero)
- Diagnostic Policy Service
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- IP Helper
- Offline Files
- Portable Device Enumerator Service
- Print Spooler (If you do not use Printer just set it to manual)
- Protected Storage
- Remote Registry (You can safely disable it for more Security)
- Secondary Logon
- Security Center
- Server (If your computer do not connect with any network)
- Tablet PC Input Service
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
- Windows Error Reporting Service
- Windows Media Center Service Launcher
- Windows Search (If you rarely use Windows Search feature)
- Windows Time (If you do not want to synchronize system time with internet time automatically)
So, above service can prove to be of no use for one user to another but same services can be very useful for some users also. So, just search for what you need and what you don’t.
Disabling Windows Search & Indexing Feature:
In the services menu you can find Windows search, you should set it to disabled if you don’t use windows search feature at regular basis since this feature eats up a lot of RAM to index all the files present in C drive.
Disabling Some of the Visual Features of Windows to Increase Computer’s Speed:
You can easily disable many visual enhancements of Windows seven, vista or 8 to get some speed out of your system. For this:
- Right Click Computer in the Start Menu. Open Properties.
- Go to Advance System Settings from the Right pane.
- Go to Performance Settings.
- There you can disable many things to get the speed. In case you disable every feature but least “Smooth Edges of Fonts” should be enabled. Do whatever you feel is better with your system but keep in mind that this section matters a lot with speed.
Using Registry Cleaner Software:
Their are a lot of software to be used as registry cleaner but I guess Ccleaner is worth trying among the all. I also use this software to clean up my registry for some errors. You should backup your registry before doing any action. If any thing goes wrong you can double click that backed up registry file to restore the previous registry values. Besides cleaning registry Ccleaner can do many useful things for you also. Discover them yourself :p
Defragment your Hard-disk:
Most important point of today write-up when your computer is much old! You should check that whether your computer needs a defragmentation or not. Defragmentation can be used to properly align all of your data so that windows may read it as soon as possible depending upon good and known alignment of data sectors. To defragment your hard disk go to:
- Start Menu> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
- Open up Disk Defragmenter, and Run the utility to analyse and defragment your hard-disk partitions if any.
That’s it, show your pc some love and it will grab you back 😀
Set your AC powered computer at the Maximum performance:
The time when you want to get the maximum juice out of your computer you should set it to “High Performance”. To do this:
- Go to Control Panel. Navigate to Power Options.
- Select the High Performance bullet and then save changes. You are done.
If you are at laptop battery then you can change it you balanced or power saver mode as required.
Considering the RAM and Graphics Card for Best Experience:
Whatever you go for, as per my opinion to get some best experience out of your own computer you should consider following things:
- 2ghz Faster Processor.
- 1.5 Gb of the Ram.
- 128mb of external graphic card.
The above things will surely make a good difference, if you have hardware below the above limits then go for an upgrade regarding the hardware and spend some money to help your computer work faster. However, still you can try all above mentioned ways to boost up your computer speed.
I’ll write some more good tips later to add more knowledge to my loyal readers. Surely Speed Up My PC will help you 🙂